Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blender Soup

Spring in NYC continues to be relentlessly chilly and rainy. All I really want is soup. I might have soup week. In cooking school the classes were often structured around an ingredient, as in the egg class. You can imagine the menu for that. Omelettes; poached, scrambled, fried eggs; hollandaise sauce and on and on. I always thought it was fun and a silly way to eat once in awhile. Not that there's anything silly about soup.

My mother used to make this soup when I was little. It is so comforting and yummy and filling and healthy too. Just make a vegetable soup with any vegetables you like. I wouldn't put in broccoli cause it takes over but other than that anything goes. I always sweat the vegetables gently in olive oil before adding stock or water. This makes a much better soup than just dumping the veg into liquid and simmering away. Once all is tender liquify the soup in the blender. Finish it in the pot with milk or cream. Tell me what you think.

This is another good excuse to eat bread and cheese and fruit, maybe a little sliced ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment