Monday, May 10, 2010

Lasagne Casserole


Every time I get excited about spring and fresh young seasonal vegetables it gets really cold again. This weekend was a chilly fall weekend in NY as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I can bring myself to turn the heat on on May 10, but I can make a casserole.

This one tastes like lasagne, without all the construction. It does require a good meat sauce. I leave it to you whether you want to tenderly watch over a real Bolognese sauce for a few hours (we probably should have done that this weekend) or put together a quicker version. Totally respectable to do a quick version, and either way, throw half in the freezer for next time. Recipes abound on Epicurious. If I could recommend a store bought sauce I would but I've never run into one that's any good. Make a bechamel sauce. Super easy to do, but if it seems too much use ricotta, whole milk please. You will need grated parmesan and a box of macheroni such as penne or rigatoni.

Assuming your meat sauce and bechamel are warm, toss the cooked pasta liberally with both. If you're using ricotta try to have it at room temp. Transfer to a buttered lasagne pan or gratin dish. Sprinkle top with lots of parmesan. Of course, you can make this way in advance or just before dinner. When ready to serve, bake in a 350 degree oven till brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes. It will warm us up while we wait for the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment