Monday, June 21, 2010

The Perfect Poached Chicken

If you poach your chicken this way it will come out perfectly every time. I promise. (My mother taught me this so you know it's true.) Once it's done you have a chicken you can eat hot or cold and a nice pot of broth.

Put your rinsed chicken in a deep pot and cover the chicken with cold water. You can flavor the water any way you like: ginger and scallions, wine and garlic, lemon and thyme, you get the idea. I always salt the water too.

Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Go away. In an hour you will have a perfectly poached chicken. If you leave it longer it will be perfect too. It will not over cook. I have done this in the morning and come back in the evening and had cool chicken for dinner. No problem. Don't forget to keep the broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment